View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I used to call myself in a lot for fishing without a licence. The reward was 50 dollars more than the ticket.
Reminds me of a story a friend who is a paramedic told me.

They had a "regular client" who would "wound himself" to get a ride to the hospital because it was cheaper than taking a cab to go see his friends.

Of course, minor injuries wouldn't do it, so he'd get ripped, smash his hand, split his head or whatever it took to get his free ride.

The respondents caught on to this game quickly and began treating him on the spot, and getting permission to release him on the spot - which was nearly impossible to do - so most times the drunk won and ended up getting a ride. They even threatened him with police action as he was potentially using an ambulance and tying up people who could be saving someone's life instead of playing a cabbie to a drug addict and drunk who needed a ride.

Nothing would stop or scare this guy and he knew they had to transport himself if his injuries were serious enough. This guy wouldn't quit.

One night in particular, he got drunk as a skunk and cut off half a finger.

They took him in, and this time, were "prepared" with someone who performed a "psychiatric evaluation" and told him they could hold him if he was a danger to himself or others ..... (which may not have been 100% true).

I guess you got to play a game to win a game.

At the end of the day it worked out for everyone because he stopped calling for rides long before he ran out of fingers.