View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 PM
Banned

Default Has anyone called the fish cops on themselves?

This may be funny to some and I actually laughed as well.

So yesterday I went out with my dad to bowhunt a zone just north west of Edmonton that has no rifle season until November 1st. I had permission on some land to bowhunt that and as we were walking toward our blind I heard gunshots that appeared to be on the land we have permission to hunt. As we sat down in our spot the gun shots sounded as if they were very close, in fact on the piece of land we had permission to hunt. These were not shotgun shots, these sounded like rifle shots. Anywho... I got upset and decided to report trespassers to the fish and wildlife office and they sure as heck came but the poachers were gone by the time they got there. The cop literally sat on the road staring at us and nothing came out to shoot at. We decided to pack up and he blocked us in and asked for our info and such. I told him straight up that I was the one that reported and thanked him for ruining my hunt. Nice guy to be honest because I was missing my bowhunting permit ( paper copy) but he let me go since I had all my tags and he probably felt bad for ruining a hunt.

I did learn though that they are allowed to go on private property to do an investigation but cannot do a search without a search warrant. I was always under the impression that they have no right to come on private property unless the landowner lets them? I guess you learn something new everyday.

So has anyone called in poachers and got interviewed instead?