Thread: Alberta VS Sask
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I live on the border(AB side) and only buy the SK license. I can't fathom wasting my time and $ in an almost zero retention province with an even poorer trout stocking program. Many of the stocked trout waters on the SK side are seeing fisheries gearing them to more of a trophy type experience by reducing limits from 5 to 3 and enacting size restrictions to only one fish over 43cm allowed and its working well. We are catching alot more bigger fish and seeing more mature fish on the camera while fishing. As for pike, walleye & perch well there is no comparison, SK has it hands down. Unfortunately AB falls well behind what is available in terms of waterbodies available to fish as it has so few opportunities available in comparison(800 natural lakes and rivers when compared with SK's 110,000!!). It's completely understandable comparing the differences just looking at those numbers along with the number of anglers as well.
Yea I hadn’t really considered lake numbers / anglers like that before, what about albertas size requirements for harvestable fish. I’m not a marine biologist so I may be wrong but it seems like we harvest from the spawning populations of fish with the size requirements set out. I just wonder why most other provinces go the opposite way with their sizes. Or is it again just simply the pressure on the fishery regardless of the harvest size?