View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 05:57 PM

I sold off 6 rifles last year and am down to 4 good rifles, each of which I use often enough to satisfy myself that they're worth keeping. My brother in law has around 45-50 rifles, and not one of them is as nice as any of mine....all are less than $1,000 new, but in aggregate he has way more money tied up.

He probably hasn't shot many of them more than once, if at all, and they aren't really items that would engender a pride of ownership. It makes no sense to me, but I guess he likes having a lot of different things at his disposal....different strokes for different folks and all that.

It's the same with guitars, I have known people who could barely play, but had 20-30 or more of them laying around, and always buying more. Not special guitars or anything either, just run of the mill production line stuff.
Meanwhile, I had one guitar that I paid $8,500 for, and one beater worth around $300.
Of course, I could actually appreciate it because I could play, and I used it for work, but everybody reacts like it's an extravagance to have something nice.