View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 PM

Depends on the species your chasing. I was looking for pre-spawn Ling but when I saw a Rainbow while cleaning out a hole, I changed tactics. Adapt to the situation, alot of times I've been surprised by things that go counter to normal though. Being mobile plays a big part as well. Usually, if I'm not marking fish within an hour, I move. Also, smaller is better when choosing tackle for whites and trout, all my lake Pb's are on micro jigs tipped with bait ie Maggot, Mealworm, shrimp etc. Last months 36 in pike on wireworm is also a fine example of smaller attracts bigger. These, of course, are my own musings and I am in no way a professional, I just do this a lot lol.

If it's any consolation my fishing partner didn't get a single bite all day, even through the walleye dusk frenzy. He sat less than 10 feet away from me and didn't mark a fish. It happens, sometimes the most subtle thing will turn fish off, a smell on your hands, noise, camera. I put my tech toys away this trip so maybe that was the difference?

First time I fished McGregor It took me 4 full days before I caught my first fish so don't get too discouraged. McGregor has some excellent fishing if your willing to put in the hours and unlock her secrets. and yes I still occasionally get skunked on this lake