View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
Great video and great fishing.
Sorry if these are stupid questions but I didn't grow up here and have no clue
Aren't these salmon going up the rivers now? I thought they turn red for that but the ones in your video are silver. Do they only turn red once they get closer to the river where they spawned?
Also, we were at the Adams River a few years ago to see how they go up the creeks there and there were people fishing them but only catch&release. One guy told me they don't taste that great once they come up the rivers so people wouldn't keep them because of that. So does one fish for the ones to eat only in the ocean?
Would love to go salmon fishing again, did it once in Sweden and it was a real blast.

They usually only start to change once they are closer to their spawning grounds. Some will be noticeable in the ocean, but the ones going up the Fraser are usually travelling a long way up through the North Thompson and in to Shuswap Lake and Adams Lake. I've caught Chinook that were in an edible state in Little Shuswap Lake before.

The salmon will stop eating once they return to fresh water, so they strikes you get in the river are usually just because your lure happens to be right in front of them. The pigment in their flesh transfers to their skin as they travel to spawn, and the flesh ends up white and pretty inedible.