View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
Desperate people do desperate things.

If you have people out of work for a long time with families to feed, they may resort to criminal activity to survive.

How many lost youth sling dope on the corner because that's all they can do to make a buck?

Not just drug addicts steal when times are tough.

A good reminder to those of us still employed to help out our food banks, clothing banks, soup kitchens, and shelters.
Its somewhat funny how people will do all sorts of desperate things... other than take a pay cut and maybe a shot to the old pride and keep working. The mill I currently work at is perpetually trying to fill for entry level positions but in my neck of the woods people would rather go broke on EI than push a broom for $20 a hour on night shift. The service rigs are starting to fire up in my area and nobody wants to do that either. My dad does security at RB auctions and tells me they are looking for laborers... few takers.

So yes, I would say that the current situation does share some similarities to the "lost youth selling dope" analogy. I'm not going to say its not a tough situation, I'm sure that there are actually people out there that literally can not find work... but I see a lot of people that are willing to do any number of desparate things rather than take an entry level job, cancel their cell phone plan, and quit smoking... Me, I'm sitting pretty good this time, but last slump I did what I had to, took what work was available and cut my costs wherever I could.

Last edited by Bushleague; 01-04-2016 at 11:56 PM.