View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 07:42 PM

Generally speaking you’ll always have a trade off. If it’s more for target, exposed turrets and a mil reticle are great. If it’s more for hunting, they screw over more people than they help IMO.

I’ve set up a few friends that were new hunters and I pretty much always recommend Nikon for a entry level hunting scope. They have better glass at their price point (to my eyes) than Leupold or Bushnell. I don’t trust Vortex lower end stuff. I do have a Gen 1 PST and a Gen II Razor on my coyote and precision rifle, but those aren’t my hunting rifles. They are also both over $1000 (at time of purchase). My hunting rifle has a Zeiss Conquest HD5.

If you’re just shooting target at 600, anything with a BDC reticle that has enough elevation can get you out there having fun. If you want to shoot animals at 600, you may need to put out a bit more money for an optic. Starting to get into the $1000 price point.

Glass quality beats more magnification every time.

Vortex makes a few hunting/tactical scopes that are supposed to do both, but I find they just do neither well and tend to confuse people more than they help. Just buy the best scope you can afford because nothing hamstrings your capability to shoot faster than a crappy optic on a good rifle.