View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Yes,Vortex sells a metric shot tonne of scopes touting their reputation for an excellent/no questions asked/repair or replace warranty....but that warranty gets used ALOT!
Well thanks anyway,but warranty doesn't help when I'm 6hrs from home and 80km in bush in a wall tent on Nov.10th beginning a 7 day hunt.
Leupold....the best warranty you will never use.
I would look for a gently used VX3 3-9x40 that falls within your budget,or save a few more bucks and buy new?
Duplex reticle with CDS dials will be more then adequate for the shooting you describe.Personally,I would stick with the standard MOA CDS dial that comes with new scope and not worry about ordering any custom CDS dial calibrated to your load for a cpl years at least,or until you have found "THE Load" that you are happy with.
I DO like mildot/mil-rad reticles,and it's a fun and useful skill to develop milrad reticle ranging,but generally not necessary for typical hunting range shots 300y and less,which will cover probably 95%+ of the hunting situation shots you will face unless you purposely set out to engage in long range hunting.Milrad/mildot reticles can be a bit too busy for many tastes as well for a hunting scope,to each their own.
I'd steer clear of BDC reticles imho they are more of a gimmick marketed towards less knowledgeable shooters that want an easy range/aim/shoot aiming solution....Generation Instant Gratification.
1)they are rarely if ever calibrated as advertised for your particular rifle/load.....you'll still need to do a ton of shooting to verify the holdovers.
2)they don't do anything that can't be be accomplished just as easy or easier with a mildot/milrad/MOA reticle.
3)again,they don't do anything that can't be done with a simple duplex reticle and standard exposed turrets or Leupold CDS.
I would like a basic mildot/milrad/MOA reticle. Like you say, I think it would be fun to play with and figure out ranging. I need something I can hunt with, but I will be spending a ton of time just shooting as an end to itself.