View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Well you are in luck. You live in Alberta. This is a waterfowler's paradise.

I haven't used decoys over water in years. Too hard to retrieve so if my son in law is with me we use a mojo and a couple of floaters that's it. The dogs usually retrieve more than we ever shoot. Do you have a dog? A friend with a dog? If not you will be out in the slough in waders, in the dark with a long stick trying to get the ducks you have shot. The slough bottom is very soft and hard to keep your balance while pulling your feet out.

Try it for a season and then you will want to get a dog (that was my experience 45 years ago).

There are millions of birds so the first year I wouldn't spend lots of $$$ on decoys. You can do better if you have a friend to hunt with and if you want to try geese, a mentor is by far the best way to go.
I have a dog. a very good one. More dog than I am hunter in fact. He is one leg from his senior title and not quite 2 years old.

was never a big water fowler before we got the dog but he was to much dog to not get into. So here I am trying to get into. I did go last year a couple times and had minor success with ducks but none with Geese.

Thanks for the advise Everyone. I am a passionate hunter and plan to explore this world of migratory birds with the same commitment.