View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipp55 View Post
I know it is asking a lot but would someone be able to help wit a suggestion of where to go on the Bow tomorrow? I am coming up from Black Diamond.
I have been 3 time with not even a bite yet.

Thanks in advance.
Except for the dead of winter (where fish will stack in an area), the humbling thing about the Bow River is sheer size means that I cannot tell you 'a spot'. If you happen to catch fish, that spot may or may not hold fish 2 weeks later. The good news is every 100m or so, you can access a spot that *could* hold fish. During the heat of summer, the fish are literally everywhere. At this time of year, the fish move back into typical trout areas---you are looking for current seams and current breaks. Slightly deeper water at the end of a run and other tailouts will also hold fish. You have got to cover water to find the fish, which means finding a run, fishing it methodically (cast near inner seam, cast middle of run, cast outer seam, then move up the run 2m, repeat)

If you are running a 2-nymph rig, make sure one of your flies is sz16 or smaller. If you do catch dry fly action, the flies will be small---usually sz16 and smaller BWO or Adams would be the fare. You will catch the odd fish blowing up on an october caddis, but if catching fish is the goal, unless I see rising fish, catching fish on the dry is a gamble.