View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 09:06 PM

I learned recently sand sold at local home improvement stores isn't optimal for weight, especially the rear bag. The heavy sand recommended by 6mmbr's website isn't plentiful either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
After I started shooting at paper from a bench it did not take long to realize I had much to learn so I started soaking up “advice” from shooters I observed that were getting “better than mine” downrange results. .
I am in the same place as 260Rem and in agreement, there is much to learn about improving my shooting ability, with better shooting bags, filled with the optimal weight. I don't compete but want to learn more. Finding the correct filler locally for the rear bag, is not as simple or safe as one assumes

Cheaper alternative for a filler :
Silica sand comes with a "silicosis" warning. I learned this past week , inexpensive "sand blasting" sand also known as Ebony Grit "30/50", Green Grit "30/60", ENVIRO-GRIT 30/60 is significantly more toxic than silica sand. One requires an expensive NIOSH approved respirator to handle the these products safely at work. Use it away from work and that same handling procedure is required !!! The contradiction with "sand blasting" sand is that it doesn't have any hazardous chemicals but comes with acute health effects from a repeated, long term exposure over a lifetime - inhalation of very fine particles

Potential health risk with some fillers - the "why" behind my concern
Some guys on this forum are quick to judge me , on my health concern with "industrial use" products including fillers for sand bags - I expect that, no surprise there. All about moderation, I get that part very well. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. A family member who embraced this hobby with a lifetime passion, used many "industrial use" products away from work, without any cause for concern , with safe handling procedures - ignored them often and eventually passed away of 2 aggressive and incurable forms of cancer within weeks. It was an unpleasant place to be, those dark days have passed. I am not abandoning this hobby because of potential health risks - actually embracing it more, with a stronger passion. I learned through lots of research, I have many choices now for bio-degradable, non-toxic products. MPro7 is a great example for that.