View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 05:56 PM

Shoot 3 shots at 100 to make sure she's sighted in and call it good... well, with my Lee Enfields thats about all I do, and to be honest it seems to be more than is needed. With those industrial grade irons and 2 piece stocks they just dont seem to ever move, even if you use them as a canoe paddle or drive tent pegs with them. The scoped rifles get some range time.

For the nut behind the bolt, I do a ton of dry firing. My yard is about 100 yards long and I have a small square of orange duct tape stuck to a tree at the back. I throw the gun up to my shoulder, flip the safety off, and try to "shoot" the duct tape in less than 3 seconds. Then I cycle the bolt and put the safety back on to complete the sequence. I try and shoot that tape about a dozen times every evening coming into the hunting season, less frequently throughout the year but I do it regularly.

Most of my shot opportunities are short, close, and sudden, having my muscle memory built up so that the shot happens instinctively has more impact on my success than a summer of trying to shoot golf ball size groups at 200+ yards off a rest. The longer I hunt, the more time I allot to scouting rather than the range.