Thread: Handgunning
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 11:28 AM

Default Handgunning

Over the years I’ve bought and sold(some very foolishly) hand guns.

My first was a Smith and Wesson 586, with a 6” bbl. she was a damn fine rig, shot hard cast 158’s with a moderate to light charge of Unique outta .38 spl cases to insane accuracy. One of the ones I regret selling.

Second one was a TA90(CZ 85 knock off) in 9mm and .41 Action Express.
The darn thing was a bit of a functional nightmare, the 9’s ran pretty decent, but the factory .41AE, 200 gr Samson ammo was so hot loaded there were all sorts of slide speed issues, and it ran pretty inconsistently. And reloading the .41 with bullets designed for a revolver didn’t help with functionality one bit. I was happy to have it hit the road.

There’s a serious time lapse till I get to the current handguns I own.

I fell into a super condition Ruger Mk 1 Target in .22LR for a steal from a guy getting out of the game.

Pretty easy to guess the date of manufacture on this one.

Then I stumbled onto the ugly duckling. You know it’s so beat to rat crap, but somehow it seems to tug at your heart strings.
It started life as a S&W Second Model Hand Ejector in .455, made in 1918.
Someone hogged the cylinder out to .45 Long Colt, and knocked the barrel back to 5”, added a set of adjustable combat sights, as well as a set of aftermarket grips. Softer 200 gr cast shoot ok, but if loaded with .454” cast bullets and a light load of American Select, 25 yd accuracy is outstanding. .454” 250’s and a moderately stiff load of Unique are good shooting and certainly an eye opener for recoil.

Lastly is my Browning Hi Power in 9mm.

She’s had an aftermarket trigger installed, and the magazine disconnect is gone as well, aftermarket grips, and here she sits.
124gr cast pills with WW231 and a Dillon 550 press, and there we are.

So what’s your fav’s?

There are no absolutes