View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I suppose I could agree with that to some extent.

My own personal opinion, is now that they're gone, I'm not sure if they have a place to come back in the Park. I see them being used as a vehicle by special interest groups (i.e. Y2Y) to restrict access and make more rules, more regulations, more complications for areas bordering the park. So I guess, yes, I agree it's not neccesarily the bison themselves, its the issues around them that concern me.
Bang on AD. This very well could be used by groups such as Y2Y etc. as a tool to set up some kind of a "buffer zone" along the park border, as has been suggested in the past.
Guys, as sportsmen this should not be viewed as a positive thing in any way. The area where this introduction is being proposed is very remote, and the likelihood of a tourist ever seeing a bison is minimal at best. The plan includes a "bison fence" which would be designed to keep the bison in the designated area. A fence like this would would very likely affect the natural migration routes of other species (deer, elk, sheep etc.) and possibly set up funnels for predators targetting these species. (The fence would be a long one, entirely built by helicopter support....think about what thats going to cost, and the buffalo would be airlifted in by chopper too....absolutely ridiculous) The groups pushing this are claiming that the introduced herd would be a clean herd ie. disease free, but have then gone on to admit that not every animal would be tested before release, hence the possibilty of spreading disease into other ungulates.
This iniative is being pushed by greenies, with support of parks, with a "head in the sand, it will all work out, lets just see what happens" attidude. While I agree that getting a crack at one that wanders out of the park would be cool, its just not worth the possible, and likely, ramifications. If this goes ahead its a disaster waiting to happen.