View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
I gotta try this! I know how well it works in my BPCR guns, but hadn't thought much about using paper-patched cast in my other guns. I have molds for most of the calibers I shoot, but just usually lube them with Allox.
I have just pp bullets with 303's to basically clean the barrel. From my understanding with cast bullets in Smokeless is you can push soft lead bullets faster without leading. I'm at 1900 so far with a 303 with no signs of leading but those are hard purchased bullets, 18brinell if I recall. With a patch on the same bullet the sky is the limit until your accuracy falls. You probably could get jacket bullet speeds out of the same gun but your accuracy could drop off prior to that. Also the bullets would have to be sized down. For example in a .308 cal bore you would have to size or mold you lead to .301, .302 or so to bring it up with paper to a thou or so larger than your groove diameter. Basically so the sized lead is snug or slightly larger than the bore diameter, paper fills the grooves. Personally I have mainly played around with bpcr in 45 and bought the 45 brass template to get good patches but I didnt see a major improvement but I know with time and effort they would be terrific. At 1300fps I don't really see a need to do it with my gun. I convert my own brass, pour my own bullets, if I had to patch everyone of those I would never get to shoot.