View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyperch View Post
I thought i hear something awhile back that the older Ecoboost had the license plate holders in the middle of the front bumper. because of this the inter-cooler had poor air flow and cause turbos to fail.

the newer Ecoboosts (i think 14 and up but dont hold me to that) now have that license plate holder off to the side.

No you have it backwards, from introduction 2011-14 plate bracket was mounted on the offset bumper pad. 2015 to present, dead centre right in front of the intercooler although it’s easily removable with just a light pull.
Intercooler problems were in the early years with condensation build up in the core and it couldn’t escape. A simple fix was to drill a 1/8 hole in the lower corner to allow it to blow out. I’ve heard the ceramic bearings story but can’t remember what years it pertains to.

In my opinion, the main problem is temperature, not high temperature though, cause let’s face it every turbo can run hotter than the melting point of the aluminum pistons. But temperature shock from a cold engine to semi-full boost. In a diesel, the engine itself makes enough “cold noise” that out of habit, you feel guilty getting on the fuel until it’s ready(warm). But on the 2.7/3.5’s (we have two in the driveway) @ -30 from a cold start the engine doesn’t seem to mind heavier loads a lot sooner.... but do the turbos? Just my opinion. Btw they are not compounded, one turbo feeds one side of the block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk