View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 PM

Through the spotter I seen the goat drop his right shoulder. I heard Tranquilizer cycle the action.

"Crosshairs on the left shoulder and hit him again" I said. I didn't hear it but felt the concussion of the rifle's sweet Georgia brown.

Through the spotter I could see a solid impact on the goat. "Hold on! Just watch him" I said.

The goat staggered, then reared up and jumped off the bluff. It only went down one ledge.

"He's down!" High fives!

So now we got to get to him...

We pick our way up through the alders and brush. Then it was out onto the granite waterfall, up 5 feet then out onto the ledge. Still not 100% sure how we got out onto the ledge. But we managed. Got some pictures of the rookie hunters second ever big game animal.

We measured him at 8" long and I counted 4 annuli (I'm no expert at that part, but I figure he was 3 or 4)

So I started in on the caping process. It was tricky on the ledge for sure. Then magical words came from Tranquilizer's mouth.

"I'm here for the meat. I just want a euro mount and a throw like they do with sheep"

Awesome, I took the head off and kicked the rest off the ledge. put the skull in the pack and climbed down to the carcass. We skinned and deboned it and tossed everything into game bags. We had to make some quick work of it.

The first shot was in the shoulder and we recovered the bullet.