View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 PM

So I set up my spotting scope and was putting the finishing touches on camp. Tranquilizer was under the siltarp... finished his hot kimchi he started glassing. Right away I hear "goats".

I grab my binos and start scanning. Tranquilizer was trying to explain to me where he saw them. Turns out I was looking closer than what he was trying to explain. It was only early afternoon. I told him we were going to make a play. Only thing I knew was they were on the south side of the lake. We crossed the out flow creek and worked along the rocky lakeshore. We went through a couple draws. Tranquilizer thought we were getting close. So I stripped off my pack(he didn't have his). As I was doing so I noticed goats on the north side of the lake. We kept note of them and kept moving as we were getting closer to our other goats.

We peeked over the first ridge... nothing. Tranquilizer figured they'd be over the next, then the next, then the next. About the 6th ridge Tranquilizer peeked over... nothing! As I slowly went to go over the ridge I looked around a protrusion, I noticed a goat on the bluff. I turned to Tranquilizer, "goat" I whispered. I could see he started to get a little excited. He said there should be one lower as well.

So I crept over the ridge, sure enough there's another. Glassed them a bit closer. The goat on the bluff turned into two goats. Nanny and a kid. So now the focus turns to the lower/closer goat. 212 yards in the range finder. The goat wouldn't turn it's head, so I couldn't get a positive sexual ID on it. Finally it turned and was an obvious nanny

We watched them head up a gully. So we watched the goats on the north side of the lake for a bit. That night we seen a total of 12 goats. There was one above a bunch of brush all alone from what we could see. I figured it was a billy. We wouldn't have time to make a play on any of them. But we figured we would fully check out the area to see what else was happening. We figured a plan may be to move camp to the west end of the lake and then make a trip up the glacier and up to the saddle so we could look at 4 different bowls.

As we were scouting the area, we noticed grizzly and goat **** everywhere.