View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 09:20 AM

Default Red deer river

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Red Deer is at that weird flux point. The released dam water will be cooler than than the river ambient temperature. Goldeye prefer warmer water

As well, when water levels rise, this is an indicator for fish to move. Cooler temperatures and rising water levels might push goldeye downstream.
Iver
To do some science, I would check the goldeye fishing in Joffre/Drumheller. I would hazard it is still pretty good. I would check the whitefish fishing in Innisfail, which I would further hazard to be better than normal (good whitefish is usually only with a couple km of the dam).

If the hatches have been good, I would hazard the probability of catching a brown trout within city limits is higher than ever. You would have a 90minute window, from 30minutes before sunset to dark to find them.
Thanks for the tips. I know the browns are few and far between, and be very picky. Do they tend to hold in shallower water? Was out yesterday in Red Deer, and did manage to get 3 of the biggest Rockies I’ve ever caught. 17”ers. Caught them on 3” paddle tail Jigs of all things. Go figure?