View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 PM

First off, as a fellow looking at starting reloading I'm VERY glad I ran into this thread and want to thank the OP for putting it up.

I like target shooting as well as hunting and plan on doing more target since buying a gun I plan on building a long range rifle with. More shooting means more ammo and more $$$ and reloading means more ammo for the same amount of $$$ spent on factory.

Also, I have a 1911 and want to reload for it for the same reason as above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymatter View Post
thank you for doing this.

I also shoot a .308 savage. mine is a lever, I have had the gun since my 16th birthday and literally love it, being 50 in 3 weeks, tells you how much game I have knocked over, over the years.

I am very interested in getting a starter kit and loading my own rounds.
I am especially interested in baiting wolves and with it being distance shots I wonder of my .308 is enough. if I step down in grains and do my own loads
that or purchase a 22-250 , and the thought of sighting in at one kilometer, does make me wonder if my .308 will work

does anyone have any comment on this, as I sure would like some advise on getting a new 22-250 or will this work with my .308 if I drop down to 120 grains or even less

any thoughts

Gray
I presently own two 99C's in .308 and have taken numerous deer, elk and moose with them and am a huge fan of that rifle.

Last October I put a Swarovski Z5 3,5-18x44 BT (ballistic turret) scope on my primary hunting rifle (the other is a backup I take with me always...just in case). I zeroed at 250 yards as usual (with the ammo I'm using that's +/- 4" between 100 and 300 yards so it's pretty much just 'point and shoot' within those ranges) and set the first preset at 350, the second at 400 and the third at 500 yards. It's worth noting that this ballistic turret can only go about one revolution and stops. If I turn it as far as it will go and back off one click, that's my 'dead on' for 600 yards.

This past November I took a real nice whitetail buck at 500 yards with a single, double lung shot with that rifle. I would have no problems taking a shot out to 600 yards with that same rifle.

I'm using Federal Fusion 165 grain bullets and turned in a group of 3 shots at 100 yards with that ammo/gun that you could cover with a quarter.

Would I try to shoot something at 900+ yards with it, no. The reason is, at that distance the energy (fps) is quite low. My ammo, at 900 yards, the fps is 574. I'm sure that could and would penetrate a coyote but I wouldn't try it on a deer, moose or elk.

Different ammo, or custom loads could supply more hitting power at that distance and .308 is a commonly used caliber in sniper rifles worldwide so I would suspect you could go out to 1000 m easily with the right combination rifle/ammo/scope
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***