Thread: Status Natives
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
If the government did allow the Indian commercial rights to Canada's resources it would mean there would be no regulation and I'm sure we all know where our resources would be without regulation.

Who said there would be no regulation, besides you wouldn't have to worry about your 3 percent going to Indians and immigrants then, you should be lobbying for this!!!
Do you, at this day and age, feel the right to harvest unlimited wildlife year round, a vital part or aboriginal peoples survival?

I do it because I have a Treaty Right to do it and abide by the take what I need principle.
What would happen if aboriginal people had to register their harvest and were only allowed to harvest what is open for each wmu, without having to pay for a hunting license?

I don't know what would happen. The crown has been given authority by the Supreme Court of Canada the ability to infringe a Treaty Aboriginal Right if they can demonstrate a valid conservation requirement to do so but they also must consult meaningfully with the Rights holders. The Crown also has to demonstrate that they took other measures, for example cut back on non resident licenses for that particular species to show it is a concern. The Rights are not absolute and the crown can infringe but it has to be honorable in the process.

Would they die off? Would they lose their culture because they could only harvest their limit?

My ability to exercise my Rights is important to me and my family and I believe would have a detrimental affect to my children, grand children and great grand children if that connection were to be interfered with or taken away. The Aboriginal youth who are occupying our jails, joining gangs, committing suicide, dropping out of school are a prime example of our people who have lost that connection to the land our elders and our nation.

You yourself said it's not just a killing thing, so do you think it would be a fair concession?
Rights holders have to have a vested interest in the resource, other than the ability to kill or harvest. For example, any First nation who wants to get into outfitting industry are usually told they can't because the resource is fully allocated but that same First Nation person can go out and take an animal a day if he wanted. The Sparrow Supreme Court decision created a hierarchy to the resource, first being conservation to ensure the resource is healthy, the second priority is for Rights holders, then licensed hunters, then non resident licensed hunters.

You have to take a look at the BIG PICTURE, other than your taxes and hunting Rights, if you want top dwell on strictly those two, you may not be able to comprehend what needs to be done.