Thread: Bratwust Recipe
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Coburger is a variety of Bratwurst. That is how it relates to Bratwurst
For the trivia buffs

History
There is a long standing dispute over the exact origin of the Coburger Bratwurst. One story dates the bratwurst to "Fat Tuesday" (Fastnacht) in the year 1498, in which two bratwurst were given to the poor and children of Coburg. Another story says that the bratwurst was first created in the year 1530, when it was prepared for Martin Luther and various elected officials, who were journeying through the city of Coburg. In 1827, the bratwurst was mentioned in a letter from the composer Karl Friedrich Zelter to his friend Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: "Since 6:00am, I have watched from my hotel window bratwurst being grilled over 10 different fires, so if this letter smells like grilled bratwurst, you know where it comes from. I've been told that over 10,000 bratwurst are grilled in the two market days every week here - that means every soul in Coburg gets one bratwurst per week."

Recipe

Fatty pork (see below)

For every 2 kg of ground meat:
32 g salt
6 g white pepper
4 g mace
4 g ginger (powder)
4 g lemon zest
4 g caraway
1 egg

30-36 mm hog casings

The meat must not be too lean. The overall fat content of the sausage should be 25-35 percent according to the Coburg Sausagemakers' Guild Association, i.e. fattier than most other sausages(?). I use 100% belly, which according to my reference tables contains around 25-30% fat.

Method

Trim, cut, chill and grind the meat on a coarse plate (8 mm/3/8"). Weigh and measure the salt and spices according to above. Grind the spices finely. Mix the meat, eggs, spices and salt and knead thoroughly to liberate myosin (until it gets sticky). Stuff loosely and tie in 30-35 cm/1 ft lengths. Keep refrigerated for 48-72 hours (to let the flavours bloom) before consumption or freezing.

Serve fried or barbecued. The traditional way is barbecued over an open fire of pine cones and served in a bun with or without mustard (opinions in Coburg diverge on this point).