View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 08:29 PM

I just went online and and reported an estimated provided by the government of Alberta. Basically the same resources we all use for broad estimates. Even if we agree there has been a significant increase in wolves, which I do not argue or will debate because i do not know, we can probably argue that the bear populations estimates are very conservative as well. The problem here however, is not with the numbers, because frankly there is not a biologist in this province that could even begin to suggest they could place reasonable confidence limits on the numbers. By the way the same is true for woodland caribou, although respecting that species we do need to accept that literally millions of dollars have been poured into the pockets of the consulting industry to count caribou. I am most cynical about the system here and the failure of the Wildlife Federations to stand up and be counted.

When I was a young biologist in Saskatchewan I was in love with the SWF, but heck that was 30 years ago, a time when the Ed Begin's and Ed Kennets of the world wielded huge political clout. This was an era when First Nations under the guidance of Roland Crowe and Wildlife Federations worked together in the interests of resources and wildlife in a big way.

I, as n independent biologist used to have access to the Federation and frequently gave talks and seminars to rally the troups around causes, Today however we are basically a bunch of internet whiners- me included.

Guys, we need to get involved if we aare going to make a change. I can give you access to all kinds of information as have been fighting this for 18 months. There are a couple of guys with passion, but if we really want good management in this province it is our job to stand up. I will give you access to a Quirks and Quarks sound byte from November 29th that clearly states the leading caribou scientist's take on the caribou problem and the justification for a long campaign to kill wolves.

http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/2014/11/29/2014-11-29-2/

Listen carefully. This was delivered only a few weeks ago. I received the Freedom ofg Information data last april for gods sake that said their were almost 1000 wolves killed. This guy tells Canada that maybe 700 or 800 in a decade and then suggests the kill may be 200/year. Interesting because I talked to the guy that did the work and he said it was 200/year and also suggested that a lot more than 170 moose had been whacked. But these are conversations- not documented facts so it is not responsible to say more.

I have a lot of energy for this, but it is up to you folks to carry the torch. I will stand up and speak anywhere and anytime against wildlife injustice. I am not an Albertan although I have lived in Calgary a number of years. But I do know this situation very well and an a little pis*ed at the science community and industry for blindly supporting them, and at the government looking for political expediency in its offerings. Hell we all know that this province is an arm of the oil industry, and has been since the bitumen resources were discovered and mapped. Forty years ago the middle east held us hostage for a lack of oil and now we are hostage for the excess. Drink from whatever cup you wish but at least check what is in the mix.

This is a small forum- why the heck are we discussing this in a trappers forum. If you want to elevate the dialogue I am quite willing to step up to the plate. otherwise we have 2 or 3 guys carrying the torch. Sorry boys and girls we need people that love this province and irs resources a little more than a side show at the circus.

You take charge and I will be your servant.