View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_K1500 View Post
Got the Okay from the wife finally...
What's your recommendations? (under $800) I've been leaning towards a Beretta 92 or the Girsan Yavuz 16....
Congratulations on joining the Club. That is a reasonable budget to have. As a long time pistol shooter and collector, please allow me to give you a good piece of advice? Start with a good quality .22 LR pistol. The reason being, ammo is cheap, you can have lots of range time, and learn good shooting discipline without the issue of developing a flinch or other bad habits by going right into a center fire (I'm assuming you are looking at the 9mm). I will admit at this point, that I didn't heed this advice, because I was all hot and bothered about getting a Sig P226 in 9mm, which I did, and which I learned to shoot. Luckily, I had a few people to help me get past some bad habits I was forming.

If you absolutely need to have that 9mm (and trust me, I get it, I really do)....don't have a set agenda or brand in mind until you have tried a few and see what fits. In your budget, I would say look at a nice used P226 or P229 Sig, the Jericho 941 is a dandy, Sig P320, the Beretta you mentioned, M&P 9, CZ Shadow....it's a long list. Go to a range, if you can, and try as many as you can. The one that feels 'right' in your hand is probably the right one. I lean heavily towards the Sigs, they just work for me, and that is all I have for center fire autos. I have a number of different autos in .22 LR though.

Really, that is where I suggest you start. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or even want to chat. I always have time to help out somebody getting into handguns. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone