Thread: Second Rod
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
A couple of questions...

How experienced/skilled are you and where will you be fishing most of the time (Bow vs. smaller streams vs. lakes)?! A lighter rod on the bow takes a certain level of skill to bring in a bigger fish in faster water as to not harm the fish, etc.

I know many that use a 5 wt for dries on the bow (I use a 5 wt as my main nymphing rig, a 6 for streamers and a 4 wt for dries - in the summer - but depends on if I'm floating or on a w & w - don't want to carry too many rods). Probably my most versitile rod is my 9' 5 wt as I can switch between streamers, nymphs or dries if the opportunity presents itself... I use 3 wts (7'6' & 8') for my small stream stuff and a 9' 4 wt for alpine lakes. Also need to consider what action you prefer/want as well...

Just my opinions...
I have been fly fishing regularly for 6 years, however I would not consider myself skilled as I thought myself and I have a lot more to learn.

Most of my fly fishing is on the Bow and stocked ponds, but I do a fair bit of spin casting smaller creaks like the Dog Pound and a large part of my decision to get a lighter fly rod it to have one that is better suited for the creeks then the 7wt.

As for action my 7wt is a medium action rod and I like it but I have not fished with anything different.