Thread: Second Rod
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL42 View Post
I’m thinking of getting a second fly rod this year, I have done a little research and I’m thinking a 4wt might be what I want, however I thought I would get a few opinions from you guys before I make my purchase.

Currently I have a 7wt and I think it works pretty good for nymphing, and streamers but is a little big for dry flies particularly on smaller creeks.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Ray.
Hello Ray,

I share the same philosophy as most who have posted. I like to have my rods in 2 wt increments. Currently I fish a 2wt, 4wt, 6wt and 8wt. However I did recently pick up a 5wt as I find that they are very versatile. It is my intent to keep the 5wt in my trailer so I am not hoofing around a bunch of rods whenever I go camping for the weekend.

If you would follow the same philosophy as you slowly progress to becoming a gear pig like the rest of us, you could start with the 5wt, then look at a 3wt for the smaller creeks down the road. Or step to a 9wt if you decide to explore the Saltwater fishing.

My suggestion to you, is to go out and cast both the 4wt's and 5wt's. Don't necessarily pick the calmest day to go cast (go cast the rods when there is a wind) as we do have more windy days than not. Make sure that there is a piece of floss on the leader when you are casting, I find most rods will cast a dry fly just fine, but it is when you want to cast the wind resistant stuff or the nymphing hardware is where you will want to see how the rod will perform.

When you are casting, it is a good idea to try to cast the rod with the line that you are most likely to buy and fish with. I find a fast action rod loads better with the lines designed to be a half weight heavier. I prefer a medium action rod that loads a little deeper for my trout fishing; I like to use a SA Trout line with a lighter tip section for my dry fly presentation, etc..........