View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 10:03 PM

We hunted Daysland this afternoon. Got there about noon and there were no trucks parked on the highway side. Walked in about 5 minutes and the dog flushed a ruffed grouse. Never expected to see one there with all that hunting pressure. Anyway, we flushed it a second time and it flew off again towards the parking area. Then the release truck drove in so we decided rather than follow it in we'd go back to the entrance and find that grouse. The dogs flushed it a third time and I still didn't get a shot. Oh well.

So we started walking back in and about 15 minutes later the dogs on point. We never found what it was pointing so we continued on. A few minutes later the dog was way out of range and flushed a pheasant. We were walking towards where it landed when our old Britt who is deaf and on a check cord (she was actually retired last season but we brought her along for a walk) went on point. I saw the pheasant just before it took off and managed to swing around and hit it. Good old girl had one more in her I guess!!! We were so happy for her!!!

about 20 minutes after that the younger Britt went on point. I walked up and could see the pheasant in the tall grass about 10 feet away. I tried to get Piper to flush it but she wouldn't break point so I walked in and it took off. It went down after the second barrel and Piper ran into the thick brush and brought it to my feet. Good girl!!

Walking out we saw about half a dozen other hunters, we flushed 3 or 4 more birds, and heard about a dozen shots. Was a good afternoon. Rather than head home we went to Sherwood Park Fish and Game and set up camp for the night. Maybe we'll head back to Daysland again tomorrow, if the old Britt isn't too sore.