View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleflyfisher View Post
Following this thread closely, we really want tin and just trying to get a handle on costs compared to shingles.
There is the tear off of old, ( coming off either way)
Possible sheathing repairs ?
Proper membrane or equivalent
Do we strap the roof with 1x2” etc. Material plus labour
All the various mouldings required, around skylights etc..
Additional roof vents.

One contractor proposed about 10k for about 3000 sq.ft of roof in shingles.Done

The tin is 7k for product alone.
Also concerned about finding the right contractor for the job and is ok w me supplying materials.
10K for 3000sq ft? Hmmm. Gotta be the cheapest shingles possible....expect 10 years and you’re doing it again.

There is no need for strapping.....maybe if the deck is thin OSB. What does strapping do? Just creates another space for bugs and squirrels. Plus you now have an area for condensation as your have moisture in air and two dissimilar temped surfaces. That condensation is going to drip off and collect along the strapping and the OSB decking.

And....with strapping you can’t walk on the roof...without a lot of difficulty.

A better option is there are high temp underlayments that give you a second level of defence, cure ice damning and is much more cost effective than strapping. Plus the one I got, protects the roof from rain and can be exposed for 6 months with no UV concerns....so you can strip the roof and put the stick on membrane and not worry about rain and an expose roof. The right membrane goes on very fast once the roof is stripped and repairs made. Can do the roof in sections also this way.

The idea is to treat the roof layers as a unit working together.....not separate items doing their own thing.

As one of the posters mentioned....go with non-exposed fastners. The exposed ones have rubber grommets that can fail as they are exposed to UV. Plus many of them fasten on the ridge which you can sort see why they will loosen.

Have a low slope roof house which gave me no end of issues....especially ice damming. Shingles go to hell very fast on a low slope roof...especially with ice damming. Didn’t want to keep doing the roof every 15-20 years....especially as time gets closer to retirement. Once ...done right while I can still earn and pay for it.

Plus on resale, there is no buyer trying to get a discount because the roof need redoing in so many years. The roof will outlive the next owner too. They say 50 years but if done right (not over shingles) they can exceed that by a lot. The value/cost doesn’t disappear....like good improvements they increase the resale value....so don’t think of it as an expense (which you have to do with shingles ie total shingle job cost divided by yr of life=annual depreciation, cost of living there).

I went with a slightly heavy gauge which is much more resistant to heavy hail. So now I don’t have to concern myself with the roof and when it going to fail.

Last edited by BlackHeart; 01-20-2022 at 01:09 AM.