View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 11:42 PM

I did some testing with various vanes/feathers a while back, tracking the velocity and drag curves out to 60 yards via a LabRadar chronograph. While definitely not scientific, I did try to minimize variables as much as possible especially the spine and total weight of each bare shaft (I think I sorted through over 2 dozen arrows using a Ram spine tester to match spine as closely as possible).

Long story short, in terms of statistical consistency, vanes are more consistent than feathers. Extreme velocity spread on feathers was approximately 3-4 fps at the shot compared to 1 fps with pretty much every vane. Feathers were lighter and would generate ~4 fps more velocity than vanes, but by 20 yards the velocity would be equal (higher drag on feathers) and past 60 yards the feathers were parachuting and velocity was dropping like a rock. Vanes have a very linear decay of velocity, while the feathers would have a much more parabolic drop. In my setup, I found vanes to be superior for accuracy past 50 yards, and noticeably so when pushing to 70 yards and further.

If you're interested, here's a link to my charted results:
https://imgur.com/hb39CeB

All of the tests were done 3-fletch with a 2-degree right helical. I did some 4-fletch, but didn't chart it since I tested it on a different day. If memory serves me, it basically had a similar linear velocity decay as a 3-fletch vane with a slightly more pronounced drop in velocity past 50 yards (not as pronounced as feathers).

Since you're likely considering longer shots for 3D, a low profile vane along with the micro diameter shaft would definitely help in reducing wind drift.