Thread: Too much 45-70
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post
Have to find my recipe. I looked into higher velocity vs. lower and as above posters noted - the 45/70 is a Locomotive. No point going over 1800 fps.

In my research I found some testing by Garret Ammo and have built myself a nice 405gr flat nose (hard cast or soft depending on need) backed with IMR4198 (have to double check my grains but I am 1.5gr past recommended but still way under 'Hot'). It's rolling about 1650-1750 fps. Its smooth, accurate and hits like a sledge hammer thrown from a speeding train.

Haven't gone hunting yet with it (still loving my .308 world) but it would be a great challenge. hmmmm.....

>>>READ ME<<<
The Garrett article has been around for awhile and he certainly has more experience than most with the 45-70.
I still think there's a place for velocity in the 45-70 (within safe parameters). There's also a reason the .458 win is carried by more PH's in Africa than the 45-70.
A little expansion isn't a bad thing and if it was penetration above all else, we'd all shot FMJ bullets.
I don't think a 400gr bullet at 1900-2000fps (jacketed or cast) is going to suffer from under penetration on anything we shoot in North America. Also. most game isn't shot at the muzzle so 1900 becomes 1700 rather quickly in the 45-70 anyway.

If you spend time on the Marlin owners forum, there seems to be cult who take pride in shooting game at the lower velocity the better. To each his own but if I had a 300 WM, why would I take pride in loading it down to 300 savage capabilities.

Now some older rifle designs require reduced loads, but modern Marlins, Brownings, etc. don't require it.