View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And now that people had figured out the release schedule, which has been very predictable, there were people waiting in vehicles for the truck to show up for the past few weeks. Other hunters told me that once the truck pulled in, there was a group of people following it in, and then shooting the birds as soon as they were released, whetber in the air or on the ground, whichever was easiest. I haven't actually seen the truck this year, as I have been avoiding the times that people are telling me that the releases are occurring. But I was out to Daysland yesterday, and there was apparently no release at the expected time, so perhaps they are changing the schedule in response. There were also no shots fired in the time were were there yesterday, and we saw no birds. Talking to other people with dogs, they saw no birds, and heard no shots either.
Predicting the release is the most and only difficult part of the "hunt". They either released and you get birds or they didn't and you get none, just like everyone else. How far removed from the truck is of no relevance except for maybe jealousy. They are child's play for a decent dog anytime and anywhere on the site. I appreciate the guys chasing them around the release areas and at least allowing the dogs some exercise to find them.

Many people have no money to throw away on gas to drive an hour or more and get nothing. I personally hope these folks hit the release time, get their birds and enjoy the day before the die hard and avid "hunters" clean the birds out.

You people that are constantly bad mouthing the program and other hunters because it is not "sporting" enough should do us all a favour and actually go hunting. You can chase wild birds from Stettler to Montana and leave the "unsportman like" hunting to us wanabes. This is especially true if you are using hear say as your basis for argument.

Last evening I walked 5 miles of bush and got a limit of Ruffies flushed over dogs. This morning, after a good hike, I got two beautiful roosters, both with full tails over 30 bars. I didn't encounter another hunter on either hunt. If you are bothered by others and want to be alone there is literally hundreds of square miles of awesome country side to enjoy.

I for one think they are doing a wonderful job releasing birds and my experience has been very positive with the other hunters I have encountered. On release day it is enjoyable to watch people with their dogs getting super excited and bagging a few birds. They are literally there for the taking and I even help out those that are having a difficult time. Most would never have the opportunity otherwise, all seem safe and respectful of other people's space and most seem truly grateful at the opportunity given.

Last edited by MK2750; 10-17-2017 at 10:58 AM.