View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Interesting discussion

In November, I had this same conversation with one of my coworkers. We could not think of one good thing that has ever come out of Ottawa.

The Feds are supposed to be responsible for:

Defense (Canadian defense is underfunded and we rely upon the United States)

Monetary policy (The Bank of Canada sets interest rates according to the US Federal Reserve. If there were much difference in interest rates, there could be capital flight. All that being said, I don't see how anyone at either the BoC or The Fed have any idea what the future will bring and their setting of interest rates is just a guess. It would be better, in my opinion, if banks set their own rates rather having a "big brother" influencing their rates, the banks would have an automatic incentive mechanism for responsibility, thus, no need for a "bank of last resort")

Trade (Why do I want a government telling me what I can buy and from whom? If I want to buy widgets from China, what business is it of any politician or bureaucrat)

Immigration (Don't make me laugh. Justin the stupid is importing thousands of un-vetted immigrants from a part of the world where there is a common world view that is completely antithetical to Western Democracy.)

The gist of my rant is, we would be better off without Ottawa. We already have our provincial governments looting our bank accounts and have little to show for it.

Last edited by sluggun; 01-19-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling mistake