View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
It’s only widely accepted if your on that side of the fence. Cherry has been using the term “ you people “ for over 35 years in many of his commentary’s. People who have not watched Cherry regularly for the last 35 years “ JUMPED “ at the opportunity to slam him with IMO their uneducated points of view on a man that many knew nothing about. They and you paint him as a racist which could not be farther from the truth. He is a patriot not a racist.
- I haven't, to my recollection, brought up his "you people" comment. For me personally, that was a very small part of it. People get too upset by the words "you people".

- I have watched a ton of Don Cherry over the last 35 years. I'm pretty far from new to him. He's a racist.

Quote:
Canada’s armed forces has a history and it needs to be remembered and honoured always as to prevent history repeating itself. Remembrance Day is one way we have set aside time to reflect on the men and woman who serve and those who we lost. Anyone who promotes that and calls out those who don’t take the time to is A ok in my book.
That's never been the issue here. At all. No one is saying 'Don is wrong for supporting the poppy' or 'Remembrance Day isn't worth my time'.

Quote:
Like it or not Cherry is, always has been and always will be a great Canadian.
Neither here nor there. Unless you're trying to say it makes him infallible.

Quote:
He does and has always had a great passion for our Canadian Troops and has always used Coaches Corner as a platform to raise recognition for our fallen and serving men and women from the armed forces.
I agree. Always appreciated his passion. We could use more of that.

Quote:
With the firing and witch hunt that ensued following Cherries comments we lost a great platform, advocate, and voice for those who have and continue to serve.
I don't think he should have been fired, but preaching ignorant prejudices is no way to bring awareness and appreciation to a good cause. There's no need to cloud the issue with that stuff, it just takes away from the message.

Quote:
As for other other countries and immigrants that served in wars under other countries that’s great good on them. But Remembrance Day is Canada’s way of honouring Canadian soldiers and their contributions. If your in Canada respect that. One major way to respect that is buy spending a couple a bucks on a poppy for crying out loud.
Who is disagreeing with that, though? No one wanted Cherry fired because he thinks people should wear poppies. If he had left it at that and even just chastised the "everyone" he kept talking about for not wearing them, it'd have been fine.