View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Ummm. Scotchbrite, to 220, to 2000? I hope I'm reading that wrong, or it's a typo. The number on the paper represents the coarseness of it. The lower the number, the more material it will remove. If you started at 220 (!which I think is way too aggressive for simply cleaning up surface rust), you should have progressed in 200-400 increments up until a level of finish you thought looked good. If going for a polished look, or planning to do a reblue, move on to steel wool, starting at about OO, and then up OOOO
Not a typo. That's how I did it. Scotch brite removed almost all the the rust spots. Hit it with a LIGHT run of 220. Then moved to a LIGHT 2000 grit. Wasn't using my full body weight to get rid of the pitting and rust. I did as you said and moved to a level of what it thought looked good. Not planning on doing a re-blue and I fully understand how to read sandpaper grit. Not going for a polished look either. The rifle is 50-60 years old. Just wanted to clean it up. Used what I had on hand in the garage (don't do much with wood or body work). I'm quite happy with how it turned out and sure dad will be as well.

DR