View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
I'm not as serious a fisherman as you, so I'm not necessarily concerned about all of these aspects. I'll answer your questions chronologically.

2oz weight, max. Usually 1oz.

Almost solely for casting bait set ups (slip sinker rig). Want the ability to be able to cast spoons and spinners if necessary, but the rod will be a dedicated bait fishing rod.

Want to keep it under 8ft, preferably a max of 7ft. Just a personal preference.

Good point with 30lb braid, might as well play it safe!
I would look for a 7' M or a lighter MH, a mod fast will help you cast the lighter lures a bit better and fight the fish better. As hinted at in the other post it won't be ideal for light lures and won't work for heavier weights but you should be able to cast 1 oz easy enough and 2 oz occasionally and it will handle any fish as long as you play them enough.

Ugly sticks are tough and cheap and worth considering especially for a bait rod. Rods like a Compre, Clarus etc as others mentioned will be a bit more sensitive but that doesn't really matter that much when bait fishing a river. All comes down to personal preference and if you can find a good deal what will work best.

Match it with a 2500 or 3000 size shimano(or equivalent pfleuger) and use 20 lb power pro super slick(I wouldn't go to 30 cause won't be able to cast small lures then, super slick is worth the extra cost cause you will get longer casting out of it) and should be good to go. 20 lb fluoro leader probably the way to go, 8 lb fluoro line for a leader if tossing smaller lures for goldeye/walleye.