View Single Post
Old 01-21-2024, 02:51 PM

I don’t have any experience recovering an animal the next day so can’t help there. When I see it or hear it mentioned I assume the hunter didn’t try, didn’t want to try or failed to bring the appropriate lighting. I also assume the meat quality will range from suboptimal to inedible.

After 30 years of bow hunting, I pretty much prefer to blood trail at night. Give me an old Coleman lantern or a zerbralight headlamp with a floody beam and neutral tint and I find it’s easier because I have to look where the light is shining. The fact I can’t see “everything” calms the visual stimulation and gets me more focused on the blood, tracks, ground disturbance etc.
Without getting on a soapbox, it absolutely can be learned and can be a very effective way to blood trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
And…. Unlawful to abandon, destroy or allow flesh suitable for human consumption of any game bird or big game animal (except cougar or bear), to become unfit for human consumption…..so you better make every effort to recover the game animal or might be having a serious discussion with a warden…plus what are you teaching the next generation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not having a crack at you but this rule always makes me wonder when I see guys giving or throwing away their freezer burnt meat in the fall. Seems to me the onus is on the producer/consumer to not take more than they need and eat it before it goes bad. The guys who post shooting 2-3 elk/moose per year and aren’t feeding a hockey team of youngsters come to mind. Take only what you need and eat it. If your feeding it to your dog or giving it away for bear bait you failed.