View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck99 View Post
Can't figure for the life of me why here in Alberta we do not have age structured hunts for bull elk.
They want to reduce the population so they create a season on bull elk to kill every bull except for spike bulls because thats all that is left after the season on bulls. Shoot 3 point and bigger. How dumb can our wildlife biologists be?
Why don't we issue a LIMITED NUMBER of tags for 3-4 point bulls, 5 point bulls and 6 point bulls. Shouldn't some of the more mature and smarter bulls have a chance to survive, grow and reproduce another day?
If they really want to reduce the population on elk issue more antler less tags and commence the season earlier. Not at the beginning of December and again in January.
I'm only a hunter and a landowner that cares about wildlife management.
If you get a chance tell a Wildlife Biologist that cares?
Point restrictions don’t work. This was tried with mulies here and elsewhere.

Wolves and g-bears (and more equals) are a massive problem in the hills. It’s very difficult to effect herd structure changes without being able to manage all sources of mortality, and there is no political will to do so.

Bios aren’t dumb. Some are very biased, but they know what they are doing

I agree with what you said about antlerless tags. Most of the complaints from landowners are elk wrecking hay stacks and bales in winter. Therefore a winter season theoretically helps push them off those properties. Of course trying to access those properties is a different story

Most hunters care about hunting opportunities and meat. Very few (even though they are very vocal) really care about antlers. So you won’t see much support for further limitations on opportunities. Most wildlife professionals are very aware of this fact.