View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
As long as the rifle season overlaps with the rut a lot of those young bulls are going to be vulnerable. It would be nice if rifle season started October 1, not in the peak of the rut. You would obviously still get a late rut opportunity. Maybe A draw that gets you started in the middle of September with any weapon.
Another idea could be if you have a general tag that goes infilled you could be eligible to get a undersubscribed cow tag. It Would allow trophy/meat hunters to leave the young bulls alone. This would be good if they gave you one for the zone you own land in.
I kill a bull every year hoping for a big one but sadly, there aren’t many around. So I usually settle for a smaller one at the end of November. I certainly don’t need another set of horns in the garage.
Call me crazy, but isn’t this exact thing the reason “there aren’t many around”?
I’m not telling you what to do or judging you for it, but if you (and everyone) isn’t willing to let the little ones walk, and maybe go home empty handed, then the animals won’t get to be mature, trophy class animals.
Elk meat is pretty great, and a successful hunt is always the goal... but unless people are willing to let them walk, they’ll never be 300+
If the biologists don’t manage them for what you/we want, then we’ve gotta do it ourselves.
That’s just my 2 cents. I’m no expert