View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
I agree that harvesting fish is a good thing. Good on you. But conservation needs to come first. There’s many, many of us who want to fish, and for a variety of reasons. Collapsing and losing fisheries is a bigger insult, more like a crime. For Alberta’s fisheries to be managed properly, even in the ‘first place’, there has to be pretty severe restrictions on how many adult fish any of us can kill each year. Our native trout are endangered, so we can’t keep any of them. So are grayling and sturgeon, if anyone would want to eat them anyway. That leaves stocked trout ponds and a few hundred lakes with walleye and/or pike, perch, whitefish. Of that small number, I suspect less than half, a result of paved roads and good boat launches and campgrounds, absorb most of the pressure. I think the bottom line is that until we accept a way to either restrict the number of folks who can fish a lake in a year, or come up with a way to share a fish between more than one person, we’ll have to deal with not being able to harvest a fish every trip.
Collapsing fisheries is easy. We’ve proved that repeatedly. Keeping fish around for tomorrow is harder.
Wrong, your dead wrong about how to manage fish,we couldn’t manage a goldfish here, look at Saskatchewan they have healthy lakes I’ve been going to one for 24years and the regs hasn’t changed once and to this day you can still catch keep and eat, like for years here we had 10 pike per person who in the hell came up with that one!??was 3 now 1 or 0 somewhere along the line they’re not focused, it’s a laugh, maybe don’t have a stupid size limit 63cm and over is our breeding fish,that we keep full of eggs, Saskatchewan say keep the breeding old stock and take any size fish like it’s common sense