View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I wonder if somebody thought about impact of zero limits on Alberta's economy. For example - good few years ago I was looking into buying a boat and spending significant amount of money on it, but since most lakes were changed to zero limits around here it just did not make any sense to me to spend that money on a boat which I could use for catch and release only. Because of zero limits I spent way less money on gear, gas and other fishing related expenses and generally fished only rivers and way less than before.
I possibly will buy a boat only after retiring and moving somewhere where fishing regulations are making more sense ( again spending and supporting some businesses in some other province.).
Granted, I am just a single example, thus it would be interesting if somebody else made similar decisions since zero limits hit lakes and reservoirs in most of Alberta.
I think they absolutelty have. If you let people keep all the fish this decade, you'll see a certain percentage of economic increase. The following 90 years out of 100, anglers will have zero reason to fish Alberta's waters, resulting in a massive net loss of revenue.

Fisheries management and conservation is set up for sustainable harvest and populations, not exploiting as much of the resource as you can in the present till it collapses..