View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Is this even possible? I can't imagine a flushing dog even noticing a point let alone honoring it. When mine are that close to a bird there is no slowing them down.

From a training stand point, hesitation is the last thing you want on a flusher or the bird will be out of range. I can't imagine another dog busting a point would be good for a young pointer either.

I actually considered a pointer this type but didn't figure they could hunt with Labs. Have you tried this before and how did it work?
I have only seen this first hand a few times, most recently with my dog and a toller pup, and the toller basically ran around and played, and found no birds. But I have actually seen hunting programs where the outfitters used a combination of the two to hunt pheasants. For the most part the pointers ranged further and found the birds, and then the retrievers flushed them. I don't know how long it took to get them to work together, but it seemed to work for them. As to a flusher not hesitating, some labs point, and some people actually breed with this in mind, so not everyone shares your viewpoint. I wouldn't put a flushing dog with an inexperienced pointing pup, but I am not against at least trying it with a more experienced pointer. If it doesn't work out, it shouldn't mess up an experienced dog. It will be interesting to see which dog finds more birds, and whether one dog will be more hesitant to go into heavy cover. Not that two dogs will prove a lot about the two breeds, but it should still be interesting.