View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What do you suppose would happen if Hungarian partridges were added to the mix? They are one of the birds that we actually hunt in Alberta. As well, if grouse refers to ruffed grouse, adding sharptails would change the scores again. The chart is interesting, but it isn't really representative of bird hunting in Alberta.
the area I live only has sharp tailed grouse and Hungarian partridges, I have to drive 4 hours north for ruffed grouse, and spruce grouse, and 5 hours southwest for pheasants,
my young Chesapeake bay retriever does very well on both sharp tails, and huns, I bought 6 pheasant roosters and set them out in a field, she was confused about the first 3 but it was game on for the other 3
as for hunt tests and field trials a dog is only as good as its trainer,
my female chessie this past fall retrieved over 300 birds , geese, and ducks, cripples, and dead, and big nasty ganders, at just under 5 months old she retrieved her first snow goose, and had never even seen one before or even smelled one
I went out with a local outfitter just to get her some hunting time,
she didn't get her JR hunt test status last summer, that was no fault of hers
I blame myself and lack of experience and knowledge on that,
as for the hunt tests, I cant afford a trainer at $900 to $1200 a month, but if I could , I have no doubt that my female chessie could go the distance to grand master at the national level,
so if one dog is better then the other , look at the trainer and who is handling the dog, before you judge the dog, also a lot has to do with the breeding and blood lines, if you learn to read and understand pedigrees, and pick the best you feel you can, 1/2 the battle is won right there, the rest is up to you and your training ability, and that is never ending
shoot where their
going not where they been,

Last edited by Diesel_wiesel; 02-22-2018 at 08:13 PM.