View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
I have voted NO! Despite that I agree with many of the posters that cross bows will not provide an advantage over regular bows in many situations, there are definately some areas of concern. I do all my bow hunting in WMU 212. The Calgary bow zone is comprised of a wide variety of terrain - prairies, river valleys, agriculture zones and small acreage developments. For the most part, getting within 60 yards of a mature game animal requires considerable skill. Getting an arrow into the vitals another level of expertise. Cross bow hunters will be on a level playing field with "vertical" bow hunters. Where I am concerned about a possible un-level playing field is in and around the acreage developments. Game animals in these areas tend to be accustomed to vehicle traffic. They often do not even look up when a vehicle drives by. Now when most people talk about road hunting they tend to refer to rifle hunters. It is far easier to shoot a rifle out of a open truck window or to jump out and fire a rifle then it is to do the same with a "vertical" bow. In fact it is impossible to shoot a vertical bow out the truck window! The same can't be said for a loaded and cocked cross bow. The cross bow can be a very efficient and deadly poaching tool. This past summer there were several incidents of poachers on Vancouver Island killing mature trophy Black-Tails in residential areas in and around Victoria. Cross bow bolts were recovered and in one case the poacher was apprehended and his cross bow confiscated. Now don't get me wrong, this issue is about allowing cross bow hunters (not poachers) to hunt along side regular bow hunters. I'm just worried about the possibility of a new breed of road hunters developing due to the proliferation of a compact, quiet and deadly weapon.
You have no clue.

Ohio man pleads guilty to poaching largest deer killed in North America in 2009 with a compound bow:

http://naweoa.org/joomla15/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92h io-man-pleads-guilty-to-poaching-largest-deer-killed-in-north-america-in-2009&catid=4:us-news&Itemid=82