Thread: Wow..
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
My husband and I came back from an elk hunt in Grande Prairie and had a pretty negative experience.

I have problems walking distance because of arthritis. We had found a nice hay field that was good for me to hunt in, so we found the land owners, a real lovely elderly couple, and asked permission, and it was granted. We left a hunter courtesy card with them with all pertinent information and thanked them heavily (will be bringing them cookies next year).

So we then leave and drive off and pull over to look over the field to figure out where I will be, and this guy in a big lifted truck comes roaring down the road, pulls up beside us and states "NO HUNTING IS ALLOWED THERE!". We then tell him that we just obtained permission from the land owners, then he hollers at us that this land is HIS baby, and those folks are his parents. He then says yeah right, then guns his truck and sprays gravel and mud all over us.

He drives down the road, then stops and starts backing up. My husband is ready to do battle when buddy pulls up and apologized. I think he probably phoned mom and dad and realized we were telling the truth.

He then tells us about people disrespecting the land and such, but I tell him "Look man, we are both almost senior citizens here...do we look like criminals to you? I get that people do stupid stuff all over here (seen a deer on side of road with head cut off, wasted the meat), but please don't judge all of us, stop spraying effin gravel, and at least try to talk to people first man! I told him that I am disabled and looking for easy access fields. I told him I'm not an idiot with a gun, and I can certainly tell cattle from game. He was kinda subdued after that.

We talked to lots of other lease/land owners and they were nice to us. Just a few were a bit growly but I killed them with kindness. Elk shaped cookies to the kind ones next year.
Doesn't sound all that bad sounds like he just didn't know you had already obtained permission to hunt.

You tell him to kick rocks next time especially if the parents still own the land and give you that permission