View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 01:48 PM

First ever harvest with a bow yesterday morning, pretty pumped to fill the freezer with some good meat!

Got up in my saddle in some timber with a view of a cut block, on a trail that showed some promise on my camera - within 20 minutes I could see half a dozen does and a beauty buck wander past/feeding from my right to left at about 90 yards.

After about an hour they were out of sight and I thought “dang, guess they’re not interested in this trail”

On a bit of a whim I thought I’d let a few doe in distress calls go (even though I thought it was too early in the season) - so I let 2 bleats go, and sure as heck about five does started bounding back in toward me, before I could even grab my bow. It actually looked ridiculous, never seen anything like it. It was like they were all thinking “hey who did we leave behind back there???”.

Knowing I’d soon have many eyes, ears and noses underneath me, I focused on the doe in the front of the group, and drew my bow back with plenty of time to not get busted (learned that lesson the hard way many times!).

She crossed the trail at 25 yards and stopped perfectly broadside for a second too long - thwack!! Double lung, full pass through, the grim reaper seemed to do it’s job as well.

I knew the shot was good right away, but there’s always doubts. The other does scattered a little bit out of fright from the sound - she ran 10 yards, stopped, and then tried to run toward the others before her front legs game out and she piled up 50 yards from my tree.

The other deer had no idea I was even there and didn’t take off until I was back on the ground packing up my sticks and making a ruckus.

After a quick cleanup and a couple mile walk back to the truck that was a wrap on my first archery harvest. It’s sure nice when all of the little things come together in your favour. Being a supplemental tag I still get to take a crack at a buck as well!

‘Hope you guys enjoyed the story, I know that’s my favourite part of the posts on this thread.

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by muirsy; 09-27-2020 at 02:05 PM.