View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLayden View Post
We got to the bottom of a valley @ 10AM. Hopped up 100 yards and bugled. Instant response! I could see 6 cows 75 yards out, and my partner saw the bull trailing them. It appeared they were headed up mountain to a patch of dark timber we knew they used as a bedding area.

They were on the move so we kept moving 100 yards and bugling, and he would also bugle back, always moving away. We played this until 1:30 and as we were nearing the dark timber we sat down, and let him and his cows bed as I knew he wouldn't leave them until they were settled.

2:30 we crept into a small opening 100 yards away from the dark timber. I could see cows bedded and I screamed a bugle at him. Instant response and I cut him off with a challenge bugle. In the meantime two calves came into the opening and I was able to chirp with them for 5 minutes and was full draw on one, but didn't shoot.

The bull then bugled again and didn't appear to have left his bed. I screamed a bugle and raked a tree while one of the calves was staring at me 30 yards away. I looked down and saw the bull coming.

He came to the edge of the opening 27 yards from us and raked a tree for 5 minutes (seemed much longer!). He stepped sideways and bugled straight at us!!

The calves were still in the opening and the moved down slope, and I was worried the bull would follow, but he took another step behind a tree and I drew back. One more step and he would be broadside at 25 yards. Takes the step, try to stop him, but he took one more.

I had an opening of 3" to get the arrow through. I talked myself out of the shot and back into it and let it go. 4:00PM

He ran down 40 yards and the rest is history and sore feet!

Well done