View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Your mind is always the weakest link in my opinion ! Staying committed and not giving up for some reason your mind has concocted is what gets most people out of the hills.
I’ve seen guys at the trail head looking at me like I was nuts putting on a pack and heading out. The next day when we passed their camp in the morning and went another 20 kms in further I know they couldn’t understand how it could be done.
In all the years hunting my body has only given out on me once, but my mind has faltered many times ! Sometimes I got it under control and sometimes I didn’t.
On day 5 of one sheep hunt about 40 km’s from the truck in Wilmore after we had climbed the second saddle that day to look into another bowl my brother in law who’s 5’10” and 165 pounds said you must really want a sheep ! I said “sure do, but what I want more is to prove to myself that I can climb this mountain, after I’ve climbed the one before it !”
Ya, I want to be that guy.

For me the big attraction to pursuing sheep hunting is the mental challenge of being alone in the mountains with a lofty goal. I am much more a journey than the end result kind of person.

I realize that at my age that my days of being first up the mountain are over - but I am pretty determined at keeping on, keeping on.