View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Hey folks,

As some of you have likely gathered if you have caught any of my past posts, I am a total rookie hunter that just ended my first season without harvesting. That being said, I am really keen and went as all out as I could with a family and full-time job. Got out most weekends solo backpack hunting in 412/316, including a bunch of overnights.

Next year I want to go on a 4 night / 5 day, probably solo sheep hunt. I realize that my chances for success are extremely low, but I am not getting any younger, tags will not get any easier to obtain, and I want to start down the learning curve. I am no backcountry god, but I have enough experience to know the level of fitness I require, have all the basic backcountry gear I need, and am comfortable sleeping alone in the mountains.

What I wanted to ask you guys is that if you had 8 months to prepare for a trip like this, and you were a total newbie, what skills would you work on and how would you go about it?
Being a newbie sheep hunter and learning alone is going to be painful. You already have fitness covered. I would try and prioritize:

1 - Find a mentor, or get in with a sheep hunting group. You will learn far more by going on a trip with someone who knows what they are doing than anything else because you can ask why along the way. If you don't know anyone than you may have to trade in. For example give up a good elk spot.

2- Shoot your rifle and learn the ins and outs of your equipment. I am still amazed at the number of hunters I meet that are not sure where there rifle hits beyond 100 yards or if they are even zeroed. You need to have verified drops for the ranges you want to shoot, or risk just watching that animal walk up and away.

3- Go over your gear list again and again. Only carry what you absolutely will use. This takes a bit of experience and will change over time. Don't cheap out on anything that will ruin your hunt. Primarily boots and rain gear. Last year we got hit with a snow storm in August and it was brutal. My group is a bunch of tough mofos though and we were able to weather it out while everyone else went running back to the trucks. There are quite a few posts on here that can help with gear.

4- Food is king. Make sure you have adequate food and meal plan. If you don't have enough you will lose steam and become demoralized. Everyone is different there is no one plan fits all.