View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
don't know if it is an urban legend, or if it would even be applicable to this particular case...
but...

i remember reading about a couple of highway troopers who were sitting on the side of the road somewhere close to the military airport. a couple of fighter jets where taking a low sweep, or approaching for landing, so one of the troopers decided he'd laser the jet, to see how fast it goes.

long story short, noone died, but apparently the laser from the speed gun was detected by the defence system on the jet that thought it was the guiding laser for the missile, and anti-missile system was engaged. only because it was a training flight those jets didn't have real ammo, otherwise there would be a nice crater instead of troopers' cruiser.

to me sounds at least like a plausible scenario to the situation...
I think all that happens is the 'laser/radar lock' (no sure what its actually called) alarm will sound in the cockpit. I heard that the Americans in Afghanistan were getting bent out of shape because troops on the ground were using laser range finders to target the helicopters patrolling above. I guess the sensor cant tell the difference between and range finder and a guided missile.

again, might be a old solider tale meant to scare the rookies on guard duty. I Heard multiple variations of the same story from a few different guys. some seemed legit, some were almost certainly a tall tale.